“A “no” uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a “yes” merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble.”
Most of my day–and I do, indeed, love how I spend my day!- is spent explaining this concept to my clients. Only the bravest and brightest of the population are willing to examine themselves and their patterns of relating through counseling, and the concept in this quote is one of the hardest to practice.
Signs of a Codependent:
1) feel unfulfilled consistently in relationships
2) tend to be indirect
3) don’t play as much as others
4) controlling behavior
6) perfectionism in some area
7) avoidance of feelings
8) intimacy problems
9) caretaking behavior
10) hypervigilance ( a heightened awareness for potential danger)
11) physical illness related to stress
Family Rules that Create Codependents:
1) Its’ not okay to talk about problems
2) Keep feelings to yourself
3) One person acts as a messenger between two others; no one talks directly to the person with which they have a conflict
4) Be strong, good, right, perfect
5) Make us proud
6) Don’t be selfish
7) Do as I say, not as I do
8) Its’ not okay to play or be playful
9) Don’t rock the boat!!!!!
Codependency IS a behavior pattern that can be corrected in therapy. If I can be of help, don’t hesitate to call me at 972-672-1957 or email me at info@Rockwall-Counseling.com.